Community Building Fund - Financial Workbook Instructions
Before completing the budget (financial workbook) for your Community Building Fund - Operating stream grant application, please read these instructions carefully.
Please ensure the costs you request will help your organization sustain operations and are clearly aligned with the Community Building Fund - Operating stream grant outcomes. Ask only for what you need because the Ontario Trillium Foundation (OTF) funds full request amounts and we want to fund as many applications as possible.
How much can you apply for?
Organizations can apply for up to 80% of their total eligible operating expenses or up to 100% for First Nation, Métis, Inuit or other Indigenous communities with a maximum request based on total eligible operating expenses from 2019 financials.
- Organizations with total eligible operating expenses of $1,000,000 or more are eligible for up to a maximum of $250,000.
- Organizations with total eligible operating expenses of $500,000 to $999,999 are eligible for a maximum of $100,000.
- Organizations with total eligible operating expenses of less than $500,000 are eligible for up to a maximum of $50,000.
Total request amount: A minimum of $10,000.
Grant terms are six or twelve months.
- Essential organizational expenditures such as staff salaries and fixed/operational costs (e.g. utilities, rent, lease, telephone and communication lines/services)
- Costs related to adapting visitor and site services, meeting the changing needs of the organization, its programs and services, and adapt to new ways of working (e.g. equipment to meet changing technology, health and safety, PPE, and service delivery requirements) to deal with measures imposed by the COVID-19 outbreak
- Innovation, digital and mobile web/virtual costs involved in the delivery of products and experiences
- Operating expenses incurred before the approval of the OTF grant application
- Any expenses not directly paid by the recipient organization
- Harmonized Sales Tax or refundable expenses (e.g., security deposits)
- Legal, audit, insurance or interest fees
- Mortgage payments
- Translation services
- Fixed capital assets
- In-kind contributions
- Pre-existing budget deficits/long-term debt financing
- Any expenses covered by another funding source
Only include expenses to be covered by your OTF grant.
Budget notes are required in the Financial Workbook - be clear about your funding needs by providing a breakdown of the costs for which you are seeking OTF funding. Budget notes should apply only to the identified costs.
Quotes enable organizations to establish accurate budget amounts when requesting OTF funding. OTF asks your organization to show it sought the best value for money by acquiring two or more competitive quotes for goods and/or services valued above $10,000. Multiple sub-contracts with the same organization/supplier on the same project will be considered as a cumulative total. This means if the total of these goods and/or services exceeds $10,000, two or more written quotes are required.
|OTF Budget Request||Description||Notes (Examples)|
|Salaries||Salaries, mandatory employment related costs and employee benefits for staff positions funded||
|Innovation and web/virtual costs||Innovation and web/virtual costs involved in the delivery of products and experiences||
|Equipment||Equipment to meet the changing needs of the organization, its programs and services, and to adapt to new ways of working e.g. equipment to meet changing technology, health and safety, personal protective equipment (PPE), and service delivery requirements||
|Rent/Lease||Rent or lease costs for office or programming space||
|Fixed Operating Costs||Operational expenditures such as utilities, telephone and communication services||
|Total Request Amount|