Lead, Data Engineering and BI Systems
Position Type: Full-time
Salary Range: $73,125 - $97,500
Application Deadline: May 20, 2022
Recognized as one of Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures, the Ontario Trillium Foundation is also one of Canada’s largest granting foundation and an agency of the Government of Ontario.
The Lead will help to ensure systems are in place to support internal and external data and reporting needs. You will lead the design and management of a leading edge, fully integrated, cloud-based Business Intelligence (BI) system on a Microsoft Azure environment. You will provide leadership in strategy, processes, and implementation of OTF’s BI system development, management, and governance. The Lead liaises with key business owners and team members to ensure BI system, data models and operational processes are optimized for BI requirements including data storage, reporting and analytics needs across the Foundation.
Reporting to the Director, Measurement, Evaluation and Business Intelligence (MEBI), the Data Engineering and BI Systems Lead will provide data systems expertise to support the strategy and implementation of Business Intelligence systems to enable optimized data use by stakeholders across the organization. This will include strategic and technical development expertise to manage the infrastructure and governance of BI systems that support the organization’s decision-makers.
What Can I Expect to do in this Role?
- Leads the architecture, implementation, and management of the Foundation’s Azure Data Warehouse and associated data sources
- Oversees the optimization of technical infrastructure of BI systems to deliver BI strategy for Foundation
- Identifies and integrates new data sources and builds ETL pipelines to the Azure Data Lake
- Works closely with the IT department to understand system integration and ensure appropriate Role Based Access Control for Azure and other BI systems
- Supports OTF’s Data Governance strategy, and acts as advocate and driver of the program in collaboration with the Director, MEBI.
- Leads the operationalization of BI strategy including data storage, management, access, analytics, and reporting, in collaboration with Measurement, Evaluation and Business Intelligence department team members
- Supports the Foundation’s annual Business Intelligence plan with general guidance to the Director, MEBI, and carries out approved BI initiatives and projects
- Leads the development of BI solutions from a people, process and technology perspective, including an integrated strategy for upskilling team members, operational process optimization, and systems enhancements
- Supports the Measurement, Evaluation, and Business Intelligence department’s planning and strategy development.
- In collaboration with other MEBI team members and the Director, participates in the development and execution of analytics roadmap strategies, business cases, RFP/RFI submissions, cost-benefit analysis and benefits realization deliverables.
- Develops the BI budget with general guidance from the Director MEBI and in collaboration with the Director, IT.
Skills and Attributes
- Strong background in relational databases and Business Intelligence concepts, methods, tools and technologies, with particular experience with Microsofts’ Azure environment (including Data Lake, Data Warehouse,) and Azure DataBricks experience with PySpark &SQL
- Experience with programming in SQL, R, Python, Spark, PowerShell and/or others to support data modeling, cleaning, and integration.
- Experience in 360-degree enterprise-wide business intelligence solutions that connect digital tools to decision-makers through data warehouse, Data Modeling, Microsoft Toolsets (SSIS, SSAS, MSSQL), ETL layers, and analytic tools.
- Leadership experience in designing data systems from initial architecture to implementation and optimization.
- Project management skills including the ability to effectively manage and prioritize the implementation of multiple projects in the data systems, with competing timelines and deliverables.
- Ability to translate enterprise-wide and departmental business needs into required design and management of complex data and business intelligence strategies to support research, program evaluation, performance management and other data-related initiatives.
- Experience with Data Governance tools and workstreams, including data catalogues, metadata, data quality and/or others.
- Leadership and collaboration skills required to work with and support business owners’
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills, including interpersonal and communication skills required to collaborate with diverse stakeholders, both internal and external to the Foundation.
- Ability to learn and use a variety of new and existing programs and software tools, including Microsoft’s Synapse, Purview, Cognitive Services.
- Willingness and ability to travel occasionally, primarily within Ontario.
- Bilingualism is an asset.
- A team player with a sense of humour.
- Accountability: Take ownership and deliver
- Agility: Embrace change and ambiguity
- Excellence: Be the best you can be and strive to be better
How Do I Qualify?
- Significant experience with Microsoft Azure and related software.
- Possesses a clear understanding of OTF’s Business Intelligence Strategy and acts as advocate and driver of the program.
- Ability to lead on-premise and cloud-based BI systems.
- Ability to communicate complicated technical concepts in data governance and data systems to non-technical business owners.
- Supports data analysis and reporting activities as assigned.
- Experience in analytics and application of statistical concepts and evaluation.
- Provides research and analytical support to sector and technical experts; provides guidance to the Foundation’s Strategic and Community Investment Programs.
- 5+ years of progressive experience in a business intelligence, computer science, or data engineering/science role in the for-profit or not for profit sector.
- Experience and demonstrated success in project management.
- University degree in any of the quantitative sciences or computer science.
- Experience working in a multi-stakeholder environment with competing priorities
- We welcome applications from people who are reflective of the diverse communities we serve, including those who might need accommodation.
- OTF is committed to building a diverse and inclusive organization for all individuals in our workplaces, which includes supporting people living with disabilities, people from the Black, Indigenous, People of colour (BIPOC) and from LGTBTTQ+ communities
- We value a culture where everyone feels respected, valued, heard, and included.
- OTF is a certified Positive Space employer, which means we create and promote safe spaces for LGBTTQ+ communities.
- OTF is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process, in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).
- This job posting falls under the Public Service of Ontario Act, 2006
- In support of the health, safety and well-being of all employees, OTF has a mandatory Vaccination Policy in place
Application Deadline: May 20, 2022
Directions for Application:
To apply for this position, submit your cover letter and resume online.Apply Now!