Data Engineering and BI Systems Lead
Position Type: Full-time
Salary Range: $73,125 - $97,500
Application Deadline: July 1, 2022
Recognized as one of Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures, the Ontario Trillium Foundation is also one of Canada’s largest granting foundation and an agency of the Government of Ontario.
The main purpose of this role is to manage and optimize the infrastructure of OTF’s business intelligence system in Microsoft Azure. This role is part of the Measurement, Evaluation, and Business Intelligence team and works in collaboration with business units to ensure the Foundation’s BI systems are optimized to support the enterprise BI strategy and analytics. Data Engineering, subject matter expertise in distributed systems and infrastructure management are the core functions of this role.
This role is responsible for leading the design and implementation of enterprise data solutions on Microsoft Azure platform. You will work with the Measurement Evaluation and Business Intelligence team to architect data infrastructure that impact key business decisions at the Foundation. Solid experience and understanding of considerations for operationalization of data warehouses, data lakes, and Business Intelligence platforms in a cloud environment is a must. We are looking for candidates who have direct experience developing and managing distributed database solutions in collaboration with business stakeholders, and who can quickly learn and ramp up their technical skills in MS Azure.
What Can I Expect to do in this Role?
- Manage and deploy OTF’s enterprise data infrastructure for analytics and BI systems
- Develop, test, and maintain OTF’s data warehouse architecture in Microsoft Azure – experience with DataBricks is an asset
- Build a trusted and reliable set of data sources for analytics applications and BI dashboards
- Oversee ETL development, including the design, implementation, and scaling of data pipelines, transformation of data types into data models using DataBricks or other tools
- Optimize existing infrastructure and pipelines, including troubleshooting and solving production problems
- Identifies ways to improve data quality in collaboration with MEBI team members
- Informs data governance strategy, providing feedback on data issues and vulnerabilities, and acting as an advocate and driver of policies and principles developed by the Data Governance Committee
- Leads the operationalization of BI strategy including data storage, management, and access, in collaboration with Measurement, Evaluation and Business Intelligence department team members
- Supports the Foundation’s annual Business Intelligence plan with general guidance to the Director, MEBI, and carries out approved BI initiatives and projects
- Leads the development of BI solutions from a people, process and technology perspective, including an integrated strategy for upskilling team members, operational process optimization, and systems enhancements
- In collaboration with other MEBI team members and the Director, participates in the development and execution of analytics roadmap strategies, business cases, RFP/RFI submissions, cost-benefit analysis and benefits realization deliverables.
- Informs the BI budget with general guidance to the Director MEBI and in collaboration with the Director, IT.
Skills and Attributes
- Strong background in relational databases and distributed systems as they relate to Business Intelligence concepts, methods, tools and technologies
- Experience with Microsofts’ Azure environment (including Data Lake, Data Warehouse,) - Azure DataBricks experience with PySpark & SQL is an asset
- Experience with programming in SQL, Python and/or others (i.e. R, Spark, PowerShell) to support data modeling, cleaning, and integration.
- Experience in infrastructure design and management of enterprise-wide business intelligence solutions, including Data Warehouse, Data Modeling, Microsoft Toolsets (SSIS, SSAS, MSSQL), ETL layers, and analytic tools.
- Experience in designing data systems from initial architecture to implementation and optimization.
- Project management skills including the ability to effectively manage and prioritize the implementation of multiple projects in the data systems, with competing timelines and deliverables.
- Knowledge of Data Governance tools and workstreams, including data catalogues, metadata, data quality and/or others.
- Ability to translate business needs into BI solutions for diverse stakeholders
- Ability to stay up to date on new and existing programs and software tools that may be relevant to OTF’s BI needs, (i.e. Microsoft’s Synapse, Purview, Cognitive Services).
- Willingness and ability to travel occasionally, primarily within Ontario.
- Bilingualism is an asset.
- A team player with a sense of humour.
- Accountability: Take ownership and deliver
- Agility: Embrace change and ambiguity
- Excellence: Be the best you can be and strive to be better
How Do I Qualify?
- Minimum 1 year direct experience in Enterprise Data Warehouse technologies and distributed systems
- Minimum 1 year hands on experience developing data warehousing, data lakes, batch processing, and extract transform load (ETL) workflow solutions
- Minimum 1 year direct experience designing and optimizing SQL database architecture
- Expertise in developing software code in one or more languages (SQL, Python, Java, Spark).
- Experience and demonstrated success in project management.
- Familiarity with PowerBI and Sharepoint
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related degree or equivalent work experience
- Preferred: Azure Data Engineering certification
- We welcome applications from people who are reflective of the diverse communities we serve, including those who might need accommodation.
- OTF is committed to building a diverse and inclusive organization for all individuals in our workplaces, which includes supporting people living with disabilities, people from the Black, Indigenous, People of colour (BIPOC) and from 2SLGBTQIA+ communities
- We value a culture where everyone feels respected, valued, heard, and included.
- OTF is a certified Positive Space employer, which means we create and promote safe spaces for LGBTTQ+ communities.
- OTF is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process, in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).
- This job posting falls under the Public Service of Ontario Act, 2006
- In support of the health, safety and well-being of all employees, OTF has a mandatory Vaccination Policy in place
Application Deadline: July 1 2022
Directions for Application:
To apply for this position, submit your cover letter and resume online.Apply Now!