We are one of Canada’s largest granting foundation and an agency of the Government of Ontario. With a budget of over $136 million, OTF awards grants to some 1,000 projects every year to build healthy and vibrant Ontario communities. OTF makes strategic investments that contribute to community wellbeing across six Action Areas: Active People, Connected People, Green People, Inspired People, Promising Young People and Prosperous People.
Each year, more than 3,000 applications are reviewed by hundreds of volunteers. Supported by professional and experienced staff, volunteers bring knowledge of local needs and a wide range of expertise to the decision-making process.
Working with OTF offers the opportunity to build healthy and vibrant communities in Ontario, while working in an ever-evolving and open environment that promotes inclusivity and diversity. We are a team of high-performing, passionate, agile, life-long learners, who are just as ready for a challenge as we are ready to have fun. Come and join us!
We have an exciting contract position for a Communications Specialist to join our Public Affairs Team. This person, under the direction of the Corporate Communications Manager, will assist in developing high quality content for a variety of channels and other deliverables for the Foundation.
- Supports the Manager, Corporate Communications to design and execute communications plans as defined by the Public Affairs department to support all departments across the organization
- Liaises with internal stakeholders to identify and understand their communications requirements and manage service level expectations
- Edits, proofs and writes internal and external OTF communication products. Reviews and edits the content and design of outreach presentations and communications materials according to OTF guidelines.
- Ensures OTF corporate and outreach materials are produced to high professional standards and is responsible for quality control (consistency, quality and accuracy)
- Creates and manages cross-departmental critical paths and related products
- Supports the Foundation’s Editorial Committee and works collaboratively with all departments to ensure execution of the directions provided by the Committee
- Writes communications-related protocols and guidelines to manage content, and ensures that all OTF staff comply with communications procedures to ensure consistency of messaging and proper planning
- Documents procedures and ensures good recordkeeping practices in the Public Affairs department
- Provides communications support to the OTF Support Centre. Ensures Support Centre staff have updated messaging, FAQs and other content that helps them maintain outstanding customer service and satisfaction
- Participates in the research, production and editing of new content to support the Foundation’s storytelling capacities
- Superior communication and interpersonal skills
- Strategic thinking and team spirit, and able to take initiative
- Ability to understand stakeholders’ needs and create content accordingly
- Excellent plain language writing, copyediting/proofreading and verbal communications skills
- Excellent attention to detail and above average organizational skills
- Direct project management experience managing multiple projects simultaneously by setting priorities and achieving deadlines
- Ability to deal with a diverse group of individuals in a consultative, collegial and tactful manner
- Ability to work independently to set priorities, solve problems and manage a heavy workload with tight deadlines
- Highly developed and effective administrative and organizational skills
- Computer literacy with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook at an advanced level
- Knowledge of, and demonstrated ability in, the organization’s core competencies including accountability, agility, excellence
- A “digital first” mindset to enable efficient business processes through the use of technology
- Experience with content management systems and graphic design tools are an asset
- Bilingualism (French & English) preferred
- A degree or diploma in Journalism, Public Relations, Corporate Communications or a related field
- At least three years’ experience in a communications role or an equivalent combination of education and experience, preferably in the public or nonprofit sector
- Experience in the development and production of written and creative materials
- Experience in design and visual communications
To apply for this position, please visit our website and submit your cover letter and resume online.
The closing date for this posting is November 24, 2017
For more information please visit our website at: www.otf.ca
We welcome applications from people who are reflective of the diverse communities we serve, including those who might need accommodation.
OTF is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process, in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.